I must say, the early results were promising.
In the past two days, I was able to make in excess of 20 commits per day. And I also made a lot of progress. Here is the rundown for what I did for the last two days.
Day 1: I moved lot of code to the mapengine class and rename lot of variables. I also took time to eliminate unnecessary code and unclear magic variables. One of big highlight of this day is the work on the character class, which incorporates common elements from both Player and Enemy class. This eventually allow me to update both Player and Enemy class with the same code. At the end of the day, the codebase become more modular and less hardcoded.
I also written a rake task to lessen the burden of syncing the codebase to the remote git repoistory.
Day 2: Major work has been done on the mapengine's map format and map file management. I also started work on the map editor, which is a major project in itself. I only got so far to directory list user interface and beginning work on input system. As for the map file management class, I added major features that spit out directory information, create blank maps, as well read certain files from directory. I also created a rakefile to create maps using the new class too.
Wow. That's a lot of progress I made in two days with a mere 8 hours. 28 more days to go before I can make this practically second nature.